WS500-REC_ABMS-Cerbo Feature in - force float

• Hi All,

I have a sailboat setup with REC ABMS, 2 x WS500(200A alternators) and a Cerbo to monitor and control my LFP bank.

All items involved run latest available fw versions.

System config;

I run custom profile #8 slightly adjisted from the recommended standard;

I have installed a switch at the helm to "force float" to release engine power for propulsion or, in general not charge the bank for some reason (storage).

When I activate the swithch, the WS500 status changes from CVCC to FORCED FLOAT, but the charging remains as usual. 

Is the REC BMS overriding the WS500, or do I miss some configuration to make this work?

• Hi Sturla,

When the REC BMS is connected to the WS500 it will take over control of your Alternator charging but all safeties and interlocks should still over-ride the DVCC/CVCC control signal from your REC BMS.

By way of this reply I am including Al from Wakespeed to get his insight.

@Al Thomason 

• @Al Thomason ; Do you have any idea why I can´t get this to work as intended? 

• Hello, sorry for the delay.

What is happening here is as the WS500 is running in Slave Mode it it following the directions of the REC BMS.  As such, there is no 'Float' to force to ...  It is all up to the BMS.

Am wondering though, perhaps a change in the WS500 firmware would be helpful to enable 'Force To Float' to drive the alternator into Float as defined by the WS500 CPE command - even in Slave Mode?   Would you elaborate why you were looking to do this, and perhaps why using Feature-in to select Half-Power mode and setting a lower max field drive does not get you there?

We are in the final QA steps for the next release of firmware (2.5.2), so can not make this cut.  But perhaps the next one?

Let me know about Half-power vs. Float Mode, and perhaps can come up with a direction.

-al-

• Thank you for picking up on this one Al!

The installation is on a 44 fot sailboat, with a Volvo Penta D2-55 engine, with two Delco 28si 200A alternators attached to it, one WS500/alternator. The house bank is 1200Ah Winston, with a REC ABMS managing it, connected to both WS500 and a CerboGX over CAN.

There are two reasons why I wired up the feature in switch to the helm.

I guess we are typical weekend cruisers most of the year, and prefer to "store" the batteries at about 50% SOC when not in use.  When we go home after the weekend, it would be great to activate the switch, and not charge the batteries on the way home. Forcing to float, would slowly charge the batteries to desired SOC (typically by setting float to 13.1 or 13.2V).

The Volvo is not that powerful, and the boat is quite heavy. Sometimes it is needed to "unload" the alternator load from the engine (like when going upwind in heavy weather, or doing some kind of "get away" manouver. Pushing the button, will release aprox 5-6 hp, which is significant. 

Half power mode, could propably solve usecase 2 more or less, but not completely.

Based on the manual, I was really expecting this to work already. The extensive manual is great, but I cannot remember to have seen anything about the slave mode consequenses when connected to a BMS like in my setup. 

Really hope this can be includede in your next release ;)

BR

Sturla

• @sturla

Hello.

Thanks for the reply, makes sense -- holding the SOC when desired.   The next release of WS500 firmware (2.5.2.) is in fianl QA and we can not make any changes, but will put this in for a task for the next release after that.

If you wish to get in ahead of the curve (meaning, take a -DEV release), drop me a PM and we can talk from there.

-al-